UK police arrest 3 in connection to Manchester arena attack

Three arrests have been made in connection with Monday’s deadly explosion in Manchester that killed 22 people and injured more than 60 others at one of Europe’s largest and most well-known arenas, U.K. authorities said today.

The suspects were apprehended in south Manchester early this morning, according to the Greater Manchester Police.

Police previously announced that they had arrested a 23-year-old man on Tuesday in connection with the attack. ISIS has since claimed responsibility for the bombing.

The arrests come one day after U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May raised the country’s threat level to critical — the highest of the United Kingdom’s five threat levels — indicating that another attack could be imminent.

Monday’s explosion, which occurred in the Manchester Arena’s foyer after an Ariana Grande concert, killed 22 people. At least 64 others are being treated at local hospitals. Children and teens were among the dead.

ABC News has confirmed the names of four people who died in Monday’s attack. Saffie-Rose Roussos, 8, is the youngest known victim of the bombing. She was separated from her mother and sister, who were among the wounded, police said.

The mother of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed on Facebook that her daughter was among those killed.

Runshaw College in Lancashire confirmed on its Facebook page that 18-year-old student Georgina Bethany Callander died from her injuries sustained in the attack. Callander’s former school in Lancashire, Bishop Rawstorne Church of England Academy, also confirmed her death.

Lisa Lees, a 43-year-old mother and grandmother, was confirmed to be among the dead by her daughter, Lauren Ashleigh Lees.

“My mum was an amazing lady and wife,” her daughter said in a statement. “We will pull together as a family and help each other through the darkness.”

Investigators on Tuesday identified 22-year-old Salman Abedi as the suspected suicide bomber behind the fatal explosion. Speaking to BBC Radio on Wednesday, U.K. Home Secretary Amber Rudd indicated that she thought it was a strong possibility that Abedi had not acted alone.

Separately on Wednesday, Metropolitan Police Service in Greater London said that the public should expect to “see more armed officers” patrolling the streets in response to the elevated terrorist threat levels.

“The public will see more armed officers, working alongside their neighborhood and specialist colleagues on proactive operations and targeted patrols, both on foot and in vehicles,” the Metropolitan Police Service said in a statement early Wednesday.

The law enforcement agency said it would “continually change” the number of officers deployed as well as the officers’ posts and tactics in an attempt to avoid predictability.

“The reality is that we must be prepared to be able to respond to and deal with armed and deadly attackers, so we must be in a position to respond with firearms officers who will use force to stop those attackers in their aim,” Metropolitan Police Service Commander Jane Connors said in the statement. “That is why is we have increased the number of firearms who are on duty, both out walking and in roaming patrols, at fixed points and carrying out a range of operations.”

Amid the security developments, the U.K. Ministry of Defense announced that the Changing the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace had been canceled for Wednesday in order to allow police officers to be redeployed.

The Manchester Islamic Center and Didsbury Mosque, which the suspected bomber had been known to attend, issued a statement earlier Wednesday condemning the attack.

“The thoughts and prayers of Manchester Islamic Center is with the victims, their families, their friends and the Manchester community as a whole,” the statement read.

In the past, Abedi had attended the mosque with his family, but it was unclear how regularly he attended as of recently.

ABC News’ Benjamin Gittleson, Aicha Hammer, Joshua Hoyos, Rachel Katz, Kirit Radia, Shahriar Rahmanzadeh, Rex Sakamoto and Marcus Wilford contributed to this report.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

ABC News: International