Conor McGregor turns himself in following Barclays Center scrum

Conor McGregor, the veteran Ultimate Fighting Championship star, turned himself in to police late Thursday after a violent incident at Barclays Center in downtown Brooklyn.

Video footage shows McGregor, among a group of people, throwing trash cans and other items at a bus full of fighters slated to fight on Saturday, according to ABC New York station WABC.

McGregor, who earlier crashed a press conference at the arena, has been charged with assault and is expected to be arraigned on Friday.

Last year, McGregor boxed Floyd Mayweather, losing by technical knockout in the 10th round, but he hasn’t fought for UFC since November 2016.

UFC President Dana White said McGregor would be stripped of his lightweight title, which would go to the winner of Saturday’s bout. McGregor responded on with a profane tweet.

In response to the incident Thursday night in Brooklyn, White told ESPN he felt McGregor’s actions were “disgusting,” adding, “I don’t think anybody is going to be huge Conor McGregor fans after this.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

ABC News: Entertainment

UFC star McGregor facing criminal charges in New York

UFC star Conor McGregor is facing criminal charges after a backstage melee injured two fighters and forced the removal of three bouts on Saturday night from UFC’s biggest card this year.

Video footage appears to show the promotion’s most bankable star throwing a hand truck at a bus full of fighters on Thursday after a news conference for UFC 223 at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center.

The New York Police Department says McGregor was charged, facing three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief. He’s making a court appearance on Friday. It was not immediately known if McGregor has an attorney who could comment on his behalf.

UFC President Dana White said Friday he spoke to McGregor via text and the brawler said the confrontation “had to be done.”

“It was probably the worst conversation we ever had,” White told FS1’s “First Things First” on Friday morning. “We talked yesterday before he turned himself in.

“It’s not that I don’t think he understood what happened. He justified it. It was justified to him.”

White said the 29-year-old McGregor said he was sorry about the fighters who were injured, but, “this had to be done.”

Video showed McGregor with a group of people causing chaos Thursday as they took an elevator to the loading dock at Barclays Center. He can be seen tossing trash cans and being prevented from throwing a barricade at a bus during his unannounced appearance in New York.

Michael Chiesa was sent to the hospital with injuries sustained in the attack and was forced out of his scheduled fight against Anthony Pettis.

“A decision was made by the New York State Athletic Commission to pull me from UFC 223,” Chiesa tweeted. “I’m devastated to say the least. @showtimepettis I hope to run this match up ASAP. June 9th in your backyard. That’s all I have to say for now. Much love.”

Flyweight Ray Borg suffered multiple cornea abrasions in the wake of the McGregor attack and his fight against Brandon Moreno was also scratched.

“The organization deems today’s disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow,” UFC said in a statement. “Individuals involved in the incident are not welcome at tomorrow’s ceremonial weigh-in or Saturday’s event at Barclays Center.”

McGregor hasn’t fought for UFC since November 2016 and was stripped this week by UFC President Dana White of the 155-pound championship he had never defended. White also said this week he did not expect McGregor to attend Saturday’s fights.

McGregor profanely responded on Twitter and wrote, “You’ll strip me of nothing.”

McGregor last fought in a boxing match he lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Aug. 26, 2017.

The popular Irishman is tight with UFC 223 fighter Artem Lobov, who was involved this week in a scuffle in a hotel with Khabib Nurmagomedov. The fight between Max Holloway and Nurmagomedov was canceled Friday when Holloway didn’t make weight for the main event, a lightweight championship left vacant by McGregor.

Lobov was yanked from the card and banned from the building.

White said this week in New York that McGregor would fight again for UFC this year. McGregor’s actions now put future fights in doubt.

McGregor once held the 145 and 155-pound championships at the same time and boldly stated he wanted an ownership stake in UFC.

But the trash-talking, egocentric has been out of the fight game except for his boxing dalliance with Mayweather that made him wealthy enough to never need to fight again. McGregor and his girlfriend welcomed their first child, a son, in May 2017.

———

Associated Press writer Dan Gelston in Philadelphia contributed to this report.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

ABC News: Entertainment

Menendez brothers who killed parents reunited in prison

The Menendez brothers, who were convicted of killing their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion nearly three decades ago, have been reunited in a Southern California prison.

Erik Menendez, 47, has moved into the same housing unit as his 50-year-old brother, Lyle Menendez, Corrections department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said Thursday.

The brothers are serving life sentences for fatally shooting their parents, Jose and Kitty Menendez, in 1989.

Lyle Menendez was moved in February from Mule Creek State Prison in Northern California to San Diego’s R.J. Donovan Correctional Facility, after his security classification was lowered. But the brothers lived in separate housing units and would not have seen each other, Thornton said. The prison houses nearly 3,900 male inmates.

That changed Wednesday, when Eric moved into the same housing unit as his brother, a unit where inmates agree to participate in educational and other rehabilitation programs without fighting or creating disruptions.

“They can and do interact with each other, all the inmates in that facility,” she said, though she didn’t know how the brothers reacted during their reunion.

The brothers had asked two decades ago, after they were sentenced, to be sent to the same prison.

Prison officials said then that they often balked at putting partners in crime together, and the Beverly Hills detective who investigated the slayings argued that the brothers might conspire to escape if they were together. Leslie Abramson, Erik Menendez’s attorney, at the time called housing the brothers separately “exceedingly cruel and heartless.”

Lyle, who was then 21, and Erik, then 18, admitted they fatally shot-gunned their entertainment executive father and their mother, but said they feared their parents were about to kill them to prevent the disclosure of the father’s long-term sexual molestation of Erik.

Prosecutors contended there was no evidence of any molestation. They said the sons were after their parents’ multimillion-dollar estate.

Jurors rejected a death sentence in favor of life without parole.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

ABC News: Entertainment

Man allegedly detonates 2 explosive devices at Sam's Club: Police

A 49-year-old man is in custody for allegedly detonating two explosive devices in a Southern California Sam’s Club on Thursday, police said.

Each device detonated at the Sam’s Club in Ontario — about 40 miles east of Los Angeles — and ignited a small fire, the Ontario Police Department said.

“Sam’s Club employees acted quickly and used fire extinguishers to put out the flames,” police said.

No one was injured, police said.

Witness Norman Svikss described the explosion as a “low sound” with no smoke, reported ABC station KABC in Los Angeles.

“Then the employees start running around and then they slowly said, ‘Hey, we have to evacuate the building,’ because it’s [a] fire or something,” Svikss said.

The suspect, Hugo Gonzalez of Fontana, allegedly fled the scene and was pulled over after a short pursuit, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Gonzalez was then taken into custody. Police said Thursday that a motive was unclear and it appeared he acted alone.

Authorities found more materials similar to those used in the devices in the car Gonzalez was driving, police said. Authorities also responded to an apartment in Fontana — which is near Ontario — believed to be associated with Gonzalez.

It was not immediately clear if Gonzalez had legal representation.

Both the Sam’s Club and Gonzalez’s home have since been cleared, Ontario police spokesman William Russell told ABC News today.

A Sam’s Club spokesperson told ABC News in a statement, “We are relieved that an arrest has been made in this case and thankful that no one in our club was injured. The local authorities have done an outstanding job. We will continue to assist law enforcement however we can and are referring all requests for additional information to them.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

ABC News: U.S.

Death of American college student ruled a homicide: Mexican officials

The death of an American college student who died in Mexico has been ruled a homicide, according to Mexican authorities.

Andrew Dorogi, 21, a senior at Amherst College, was found dead in Mexico City on March 15, authorities said. His body was found at the Camarones Metro train station on the city’s Line 7, according to the Mexico City Attorney General’s Office.

Shortly before 11 p.m. on March 15, an auxiliary police officer of the Secretary Public Security was called to the tracks of the station to investigate a person in an unauthorized area. That’s when the officer noticed a man lying on the tracks, authorities said.

After cutting the power, emergency services were called to the station to treat the man. Staff from the Red Cross, however, determined that the person was already dead, authorities said.

The body, identified by authorities as Dorogi, was claimed by his mother, according to the Mexico City AG’s office.

The cause of death has been ruled as a “culpable homicide,” the office said. It was unclear if any suspects had been identified or if anyone was in custody.

Dorogi’s family declined to be interviewed.

Amherst College president Carolyn Martin released a statement Thursday saying Dorogi “did not die of suicide.”

“The cause of Andrew’s death is still unknown and under investigation,” the statement said. “We know from his family that he did not die of suicide.”

Dorogi was a member of the football team and studied economics, according to the university.

“Andrew was loved for his friendliness, joyfulness, sense of fun, and inclusiveness,” the statement added, “and we will create an opportunity on campus to come together in his memory.”

ABC News’ Anne Laurent and Conor Finnegan contributed to this report.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

ABC News: U.S.

Teenagers in love found slain, bound in abandoned mine shaft

They were teenagers in love, bonding after overcoming personal struggles and dreaming of a family and future together. When they vanished days after Christmas, friends and family combed Utah’s west desert for months in search of answers.

What police eventually discovered was more unspeakable than anyone had imagined: The teens’ bound and stabbed bodies were 100 feet (31 meters) down an abandoned mine shaft.

“We had every scenario run through our heads, but for the events that truly took place, words can’t even describe it,” said Amanda Hunt, after learning the fates of her 17-year-old niece, Brelynne “Breezy” Otteson, and 18-year-old Riley Powell.

A man enraged that his girlfriend had welcomed her friends into their home bound, beat and stabbed Powell to death as Otteson watched in horror before he cut her throat, prosecutors said this week.

“It’s as bad as anything I’ve ever seen,” said Utah County Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Cannon. “They just seem like decent kids … they never did anything to deserve this.”

Otteson, an outspoken teenager with side-swept hair and bright hazel eyes, had been wrestling for years with her mother’s death in a car crash. But she found something special in Powell, her aunt said. Over Thanksgiving the teen was telling her family she might be pregnant.

“She struggled with that affection, she struggled with feeling that people loved her, and the same with Riley,” Hunt said. “I think they both wanted to be loved.”

Powell had his own challenges. He’d been sent to a boys’ home after bringing a gun to his high school, though Hunt said he only intended to take it rabbit hunting. He changed schools, graduated and found work as a plumber.

The couple was living with Powell’s father in Eureka, a former silver mining town with a wind-swept main street surrounded by sandy-colored hills pockmarked with hundreds of abandoned mine shafts about 75 miles (120 kilometers) south of Salt Lake City.

Sturdily built with glasses and a goatee, Powell often played basketball or went riding off-road growing up. At one point, Hunt said he’d briefly dated a woman named Morgan Henderson.

The two remained friends, and made plans to meet at her house and smoke marijuana at around midnight on Dec. 30, police say, after Powell and Otteson wrapped up Christmas celebrations with her family.

Investigators pieced together a scenario of what happened next, according to court documents and statements Henderson gave to authorities:

The couple met Henderson, 34, at a home she was sharing with a 41-year-old boyfriend named Jarrod Baum near Eureka. He’d been in and out of jail since robbing a Burger King at age 15, said Cannon, who booked him into jail back then.

He had warned Henderson against having male friends over, and when he arrived home and found the teenagers there he exploded, she said. He tied them up, duct-taped their mouths and threw them in the back of Powell’s Jeep. He told Henderson to get in.

They drove a few miles outside town and stopped in front of a mine shaft wide enough to swallow a car and nearly 2,000 feet (609 meters) deep.

Baum pulled the teenagers out of the Jeep and led them to the abandoned mine, at one point congratulating them on her pregnancy. While Otteson had hoped have a baby, investigators later found she wasn’t pregnant. It’s not clear why Baum mentioned it.

He made her kneel and watch as he beat and stabbed Riley Powell to death, police said, before Baum sliced her throat and tossed her down the mine after him.

The bodies stayed there for months as family and friends combed the desert, descending into several of the abandoned mines around Eureka. Searchers even stood over the pit known as the Tintic Standard Mine No. 2, but didn’t go down because it was too deep for their team, Hunt said.

Henderson, meanwhile, told police she hadn’t seen the couple. A break came March 25, when Henderson was pulled over with weapons in her car and arrested. She eventually told police the story of what happened and led them to the bodies.

Baum is facing aggravated murder, kidnapping and other charges that could bring the death penalty, while Henderson is charged with obstruction of justice. No attorneys were available to comment for Baum or Henderson, and there were no working publicly listed phone numbers for them.

At a hearing Tuesday, Baum turned and locked eyes with the teens’ heartbroken families.

“He just looked empty,” Hunt said. “Soulless.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

ABC News: U.S.